For All Open Positions:
Highly qualified musicians are invited to submit an application via Google Documents. Please attach your resume and video(s) using this application link.
You will find all open positions listed below, along with their individual requirements. Materials will be accepted as long the application is open. Offer of employment at this audition is contingent on the winning candidate’s ability to provide proof of their current ability to work in the U.S. Employment will begin during the 2023-24 season. The BCSO is a per-service orchestra.
The BCSO season consists of 6 concerts usually on the first Saturday of the month. Three of those concerts are pops and three are classics. Rehearsals are always the week of the concert, 2-3 for pops and 4 for classics, including a dress rehearsal the day of the concert in the afternoon. Other concerts may include a summer outdoor concert and an Education Outreach Concert.
Percussion: This position is for Percussion 3 and Percussion 4 when needed. Please record the excerpts in the order listed below.
• Dukas: Sorcerer’s Apprentice – reh 17 – 20; 22 – 24
• Shostakovich: Polka from “The Golden Age” – beg – reh 48; 55 – end
• long roll, approximately 30 seconds: start FF, dim to PP and hold, cresc to FF
• Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade, Mvt 4 – reh M – U
• Brahms: Symphony No. 4, Mvt 3 – 1 measure before reh C – D; reh I – end
• Bizet – Carmen Suite No. 1, Aragonaise
• Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2 – reh 32 – 13 measures after
• Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4, Mvt 4 – 16 after reh H – end
• long roll, approximately 20 seconds: start PP, cresc to FF, dim to PP
• Sousa: Stars and Stripes Forever March – beg – measure 20 (2nd ending); measure 69 – 100
Substitute Players: Percussion
An orchestral excerpt of your choice on each of the following instruments:
• Snare drum
• Bass drum
Substitute Players in all other sections
• One minute of a concerto
• Three contrasting orchestral excerpts of your choice